Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Non-Stress Test Scare....

Thirty two weeks came and went. Very Slowly.

We were in the home stretch. Imagine going through the tunnel and everyone is telling me it will only be a short period of time, yet, I still see no light at the end of the tunnel. It's depressing.

The appointments with the OB doctor increase at this point. It feels like I leave the office just to come back the next day.

It's the same thing each time: non-stress test, talk to a doctor, they ask how I'm doing, they talk to Sadie, they ask if I'm feeling movement, they ask if I'm getting contractions yet.

On one rare occasion, I had Dr. Jerkface again. That was a treat. He asked me if she stopped moving yet. Really? Really? The only thing to say to this man, "no, she is still moving jerface." I thought, your mother would be so proud, I am sure.

During the non-stress test (which, I didn't describe this: it's a test that they put two different scanners on to check for movement and check heartbeat), my sister was in the room with me during one of the non-stress tests. This was her first time.

We were talking, usually the tests are pretty boring as you lay there. Then, Faith's heartbest started slowing down. I shifted my weight a bit and pushed on the little "scanners" to maybe try to speed up the heartbeat. Nope. Still slow.

I look over at my sister.
"Hmm, this is weird."
"What is weird?" She asked.
"Her heartbeat slowing down doesn't normally happen during these tests."
"That isn't good!" She said.
Now, randomly, the heartbeat disappears and then comes back. Then, it disappeared completely. The nice old lady I mentioned before that helped me set-up all my appointments came in. She adjusted the little "scanners" and told me to turn to my side. I did. Nothing happened.

She told me she would be right back. She calmly left the room but as soon as she thought she was out of my vision, I saw her run frantically down the hall. Nope, not good. Maybe this is it. Maybe this is her time to go. Maybe I just heard her last heartbeat. Inside, I'm freaking out. I say a quick prayer. Please let her be okay. Please.

Shortly after, the doctor comes in and asks me to lay on my right side (I was laying on my left side at this point). I did as I was told.

After about 15-20 seconds passed and the heartbeat started again. Whew. The doctor seemed like this was normal. The nice lady looked relieved. He told her that sometimes that happens and when you switch sides, it frees the umbilical cord.

What a relief! I'm still in the middle of the tunnel. Darkness all around.

One day, I'll see the light but unfortunately it wasn't today.


No comments:

Post a Comment